Bringing Community Together Since 1938!
Since 1938 friends, families and visitors to our community have been gathering at 22 Pleasant Street in Chester to experience movies, music, theatre and community events. A supportive and generous community has kept this jewel alive and thriving as an important arts venue on the south shore of Nova Scotia.
By The Community, For the community
The Chester Playhouse serves the Municipality of the District of Chester, and beyond. Operations are carried out by a small staff with oversight by a volunteer, community-based board of directors.
We are operated by the community for the community. Board members come from the immediate area and broader region so that we can be effective in linking local knowledge with opportunities to build programs that will strengthen the Playhouse.
The Vision, Mission, and Mandate of the Playhouse set the framework for our programs, events, and community engagement.
We are valued as artistic and community leaders, and as an integral part of our vibrant, culturally rich region.
To offer and promote cultural experiences which engage our community, and to operate a welcoming, accessible, arts facility.
The Chester Playhouse Society is mandated to:
- Source, present, and promote
o Live theatre
o A range of music performances
o Film and other cultural experiences
o Educational and participatory opportunities for youth and adults
- Mentor and train aspiring arts professionals
- Collaborate with community partners
- Engage the citizens of Chester Municipality and area, as well as others who seek shared cultural experiences
- Sustainably equip, operate, and maintain the Chester Playhouse as a facility that integrates technology and leverages its potential.